IBM has placed on their Web site a set of "problem determination tutorials" meant to provide a set of self-help tools to administrators trying to diagnose a series of problems. There are nine tutorials in all, covering different support aspects of DB2 v.7.2, as well as some of the more important v.8 issues. IBM intends to institute a DB2 Problem Determination Mastery Exam in the near future.
The nine tutorials are titled:
- Introduction to Problem Determination
- Installation Problem Determination
- Connectivity Problem Determination
- DB2 Problem Determination Tools
- Database Problem Determination
- Performance Problem Determination
- Problem Determination in a Multi Node Environment
- Application Problem Determination
- Combining DB2 and OS Diagnostics
These guides are available in both HTML and PDF format and all may be read on their own as problems arise (with the exception of the introductory first tutorial).
About the Author
Barrie Sosinsky (barries@sosinsky-group) is president of consulting company Sosinsky and Associates (Medfield MA). He has written extensively on a variety of computer topics. His company specializes in custom software (database and Web related), training and technical documentation.
For More Information
- Feedback: E-mail the editor with your thoughts about this tip.
- More tips: Hundreds of free DB2 tips and scripts.
- Tip contest: Have a DB2 tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize -- submit your tip today!
- Ask the Experts: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
- Forums: Ask your technical DB2 questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our active forums.
- Best Web Links: DB2 tips, tutorials, and scripts from around the Web.