This tip courtesy of Search390.com.You can use SMS on the mainframe to consolidate dataset extents easily and quickly without recovering the tablespace.
- From the TSO terminal panel 3.4 issue a LISTCAT command against a suspected dataset that reached 119 extents.
- Once you verify that the dataset reached 119 extents. Determine the tablespace which holds the dataset and stop this tablespace. Double-check to make sure the tablespace is stopped.
- Enter the following command on the command line in TSO opposite the dataset in 3.4. Here is the command: hmigrate. This will migrate the dataset in question.
- Wait a couple of minutes to let DFHSM migrate the dataset then listcat it to verify that it has been migrated.
- Then on the same command line opposite the migrated dataset issue, enter the following command: hrecall.
- Wait a few minutes to let DFHSM recall your dataset. Once it is recalled it will have all the extents consolidated in one primary extent.