Many users of the OS/400 worry if their backups are good on their system. One area you can log to for determining this is by doing a display of your history logs looking for common backup messages. Here is an example of how to look for successful and unsuccessful backups messages in QHST (the history log).
To view a history log, execute the Display Log (DSPLOG) command. By default, this command shows the history log in a chronological sequence. It's a lot of information to look through when searching for a problem, but if you know the OS/400 message ID you are searching for, you can speed up this process. OS/400 backup commands issue message IDs that are registered in the history logs. The following list shows message IDs for various save commands:
* CPC3701--Sent for each library that is completely saved to media.
* CPC3722--Sent for each library that is completely saved to a save file.
* CPC9410--Completion message for SAVDLO (Save documents and folders) saved completely to media.
* CPC9063--Completion message for SAVDLO saved completely to save file.
* CPC370C--Completion message for SAV save of directory completely to media.
* CPC370D--Completion message for SAV save of directory completely to save file.
* CPF3771-- Number of objects saved/not saved during SAVLIB command.*
CPF3837-- Number of objects saved/not saved during SAV command.
* CPF9410-Number of objects saved/not saved during SAVDLO.
DSPLOG PERIOD((*AVAIL 031302) (*AVAIL 031302)) MSGID(CPC3701 CPC370C)
MORE INFORMATION ON THIS TOPIC
The Best Web Links: tips, tutorials and more.
Ask your systems management questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
Ask the Experts yourself: Our systems management gurus are waiting to answer your technical questions.