By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
Would you be able to recover your systems in the event of a disaster? Hopefully the answer is yes. To help you make sure your backups and restores are being done correctly, we've pulled together a multitude of tips, articles, white papers and other resources. Don't put off today what you may not be able to recover tomorrow. -- Michelle Davidson, editor
|Backup and Recovery Processes Quick Guides||Return to Table of Contents|
- Glossary Definition: Backup
- Why you need to plan a backup and recovery strategy
- Top 10 backup commands
- Visual backup guide (PDF)
- The disaster recovery guide
- Backup and recovery techniques
- Backup expert Tom Huntington answers users' questions
|Backup and Recovery Strategies||Return to Table of Contents|
- Correct way to restore logical files
- Add IFS directories to your daily backup policy
- Preparing a final backup
- Securing the Save/Restore function
- In between system saves
- Correct order to restore user profiles
- Shutting down iSeries Integrated Server cards for backups
- Want to speed up your nightly backups? Use save files
- Tips for shrinking your backup/recovery windows
- Backing up remote systems -- eliminate the tape
- Plan on disk-based backup (Free registration to this site required)
- Back up to multiple member file
- Unattended full system save and IPL
- Backing up the integrated file system
|Verifying and Reporting on Backups||Return to Table of Contents|
- Verifying a backup is complete
- Did the files copy correctly during backup?
- Are your backups complete?
- Are you saving everything?
- Objects "not saved" during a backup
- Provide a report for user to verify backups
- Audit your OS/400 backups
|Using IBM's Backup Media and Recovery Services (BRMS)||Return to Table of Contents|
- IBM's Backup Recovery and Media Services
- Setting up BRMS
- Receiving backup error message while using BRMS
- Viewing old backup tapes in the BRMS catalog
- BRMS for backups vs. native IBM SAVSYS
- BRMS recovery process
- Using BRMS on V5R2
- Unattended SAVSYS option 21 with BRMS
|Information about other Backup and Recovery Products||Return to Table of Contents|
- ArchiveManager400 from Healy Software International, Ltd.
- AS/400 System Backup from Ctech Network Services, Ltd.
- DataMirror Transformation Server from Data Mirror Corp.
- DSK Manager from Kisco Information Systems
- EMC Symmetrix Remote Data Facility (SRDF) from EMC Corp.
- Guardian Save from iTera, Inc.
- MMS for the iSeries from LXI Corp.
- OptStor-Optical Backup to Tape (OBT) from Midrange Performance Group
- RTAPE/400 Smart Backup & Restore (SBR) from Ricomm Systems, Inc.
- Robot/SAVE from help/systems
- Total Recovery and Control for the AS/400 (TRAC/400) from Pinnacle Business Systems, Inc.
|Storing your Backups||Return to Table of Contents|
- Storing backups and media life expectancy
- Vaulting is best practice for data backup plans
- iSeries Storage Solutions (PDF)
|Articles, White Papers and Q&As||Return to Table of Contents|
- White paper: Backup and Recovery Strategies for iSeries
- White paper: Improving iSeries Backup Performance
- White paper: Critical Practices for Remote Backup
- White paper: The Need for Mirrored Backup
- Article: Vineyard spends time on wine, not backup
- Article: Backing Up and Copying Spooled Files
- Q&A: Backing Up Spooled Files
- Q&A: PTFs Specific for Backup and Recovery
- White paper: Backup and recovery support
- White paper: Backing Up Your AS/400 (PDF)
- White paper: Backup Insurance, Are You Covered?
- White paper: Keep backup and recovery alive and well after iSeries consolidation
|Case Studies, Redbooks and Manuals||Return to Table of Contents|
- Case study: Fireman's Fund McGee Marine Insurance Company (PDF)
- Redbook: Integrating Backup Recovery and Media Services and IBM Tivoli Storage Manager on the IBM eServer iSeries Server
- Redbook: Backup Recovery and Media Services for OS/400: A Practical Approach
- Redbook: Choosing the right backup strategy for Domino 6 for iSeries
- Manual: iSeries Backup and Recovery (Version 5 -- SC41-5304-06) (PDF)
- Manual: Backup, Recovery, and Media Services for iSeries (PDF)
|Webcasts||Return to Table of Contents|
- Live Expert Webcast: Essentials of backup/recovery for disaster recovery
Date: Nov. 18, 2 p.m. EDT (18:00 GMT)
Speaker: Deb Saugen, technical owner of iSeries 400 and AS/400 backup and recovery, IBM Rochester
Preparing for disaster recovery is key to any business. Implementing a complete backup/recovery strategy on the iSeries is an essential part of disaster recovery. Learn about the various options and techniques to develop an iSeries backup/recovery strategy and how to test for disaster recovery.
Register to attend webcast
- Expert Webcast: Disaster recovery for the iSeries
- Expert Webcast: Honey, I shrunk my backup/recovery windows
- Vendor Webcast: Total Tape Protection Across All Platforms: Using the iSeries as an Enterprise Backup Server
|Expert Advice||Return to Table of Contents|
Click below for a sampling of Ken's advice to users just like you.
- Advice: Are you sure you're doing a COMPLETE backup?
- Advice: Can a GO SAVE 21 be automated via a CL?
- Advice: Improving backup times
- Advice: Save multiple libraries to a single SAVF
- Advice: Saving a backup directory
|Resources||Return to Table of Contents|
- TechTarget's ITKnowledge Exchange
Get answers to your backup and recovery questions from other TechTarget members who have expertise in that area.
- Search400.com's Best Web Links on backup & recovery
- Search400.com's backup & recovery search results
- iSeries Information Center: Backup & recovery page
- Business continuity and recovery services