Would you be able to recover your systems in the event of a disaster? Hopefully the answer is yes. To help you make sure your backups and restores are being done correctly, we've pulled together a multitude of tips, articles, white papers and other resources. Don't put off today what you may not be able to recover tomorrow. -- Michelle Davidson, editor
|Backup and Recovery Processes Quick Guides||Return to Table of Contents|
- Glossary Definition: Backup
- Why you need to plan a backup and recovery strategy
- Top 10 backup commands
- Visual backup guide (PDF)
- The disaster recovery guide
- Backup and recovery techniques
- Backup expert Tom Huntington answers users' questions
|Backup and Recovery Strategies||Return to Table of Contents|
- Correct way to restore logical files
- Add IFS directories to your daily backup policy
- Preparing a final backup
- Securing the Save/Restore function
- In between system saves
- Correct order to restore user profiles
- Shutting down iSeries Integrated Server cards for backups
- Want to speed up your nightly backups? Use save files
- Tips for shrinking your backup/recovery windows
- Backing up remote systems -- eliminate the tape
- Plan on disk-based backup (Free registration to this site required)
- Back up to multiple member file
- Unattended full system save and IPL
- Backing up the integrated file system
|Verifying and Reporting on Backups||Return to Table of Contents|
- Verifying a backup is complete
- Did the files copy correctly during backup?
- Are your backups complete?
- Are you saving everything?
- Objects "not saved" during a backup
- Provide a report for user to verify backups
- Audit your OS/400 backups
|Using IBM's Backup Media and Recovery Services (BRMS)||Return to Table of Contents|
- IBM's Backup Recovery and Media Services
- Setting up BRMS
- Receiving backup error message while using BRMS
- Viewing old backup tapes in the BRMS catalog
- BRMS for backups vs. native IBM SAVSYS
- BRMS recovery process
- Using BRMS on V5R2
- Unattended SAVSYS option 21 with BRMS
|Information about other Backup and Recovery Products||Return to Table of Contents|
- ArchiveManager400 from Healy Software International, Ltd.
- AS/400 System Backup from Ctech Network Services, Ltd.
- DataMirror Transformation Server from Data Mirror Corp.
- DSK Manager from Kisco Information Systems
- EMC Symmetrix Remote Data Facility (SRDF) from EMC Corp.
- Guardian Save from iTera, Inc.
- MMS for the iSeries from LXI Corp.
- OptStor-Optical Backup to Tape (OBT) from Midrange Performance Group
- RTAPE/400 Smart Backup & Restore (SBR) from Ricomm Systems, Inc.
- Robot/SAVE from help/systems
- Total Recovery and Control for the AS/400 (TRAC/400) from Pinnacle Business Systems, Inc.
|Storing your Backups||Return to Table of Contents|
- Storing backups and media life expectancy
- Vaulting is best practice for data backup plans
- iSeries Storage Solutions (PDF)
|Articles, White Papers and Q&As||Return to Table of Contents|
- White paper: Backup and Recovery Strategies for iSeries
- White paper: Improving iSeries Backup Performance
- White paper: Critical Practices for Remote Backup
- White paper: The Need for Mirrored Backup
- Article: Vineyard spends time on wine, not backup
- Article: Backing Up and Copying Spooled Files
- Q&A: Backing Up Spooled Files
- Q&A: PTFs Specific for Backup and Recovery
- White paper: Backup and recovery support
- White paper: Backing Up Your AS/400 (PDF)
- White paper: Backup Insurance, Are You Covered?
- White paper: Keep backup and recovery alive and well after iSeries consolidation
|Case Studies, Redbooks and Manuals||Return to Table of Contents|
- Case study: Fireman's Fund McGee Marine Insurance Company (PDF)
- Redbook: Integrating Backup Recovery and Media Services and IBM Tivoli Storage Manager on the IBM eServer iSeries Server
- Redbook: Backup Recovery and Media Services for OS/400: A Practical Approach
- Redbook: Choosing the right backup strategy for Domino 6 for iSeries
- Manual: iSeries Backup and Recovery (Version 5 -- SC41-5304-06) (PDF)
- Manual: Backup, Recovery, and Media Services for iSeries (PDF)
|Webcasts||Return to Table of Contents|
- Live Expert Webcast: Essentials
of backup/recovery for disaster recovery
Date: Nov. 18, 2 p.m. EDT (18:00 GMT)
Speaker: Deb Saugen, technical owner of iSeries 400 and AS/400 backup and recovery, IBM Rochester
Preparing for disaster recovery is key to any business. Implementing a complete backup/recovery strategy on the iSeries is an essential part of disaster recovery. Learn about the various options and techniques to develop an iSeries backup/recovery strategy and how to test for disaster recovery.
Register to attend webcast
- Expert Webcast: Disaster recovery for the iSeries
- Expert Webcast: Honey, I shrunk my backup/recovery windows
- Vendor Webcast: Total Tape Protection Across All Platforms: Using the iSeries as an Enterprise Backup Server
|Expert Advice||Return to Table of Contents|
Click below for a sampling of Ken's advice to users just like you.
- Advice: Are you sure you're doing a COMPLETE backup?
- Advice: Can a GO SAVE 21 be automated via a CL?
- Advice: Improving backup times
- Advice: Save multiple libraries to a single SAVF
- Advice: Saving a backup directory
|Resources||Return to Table of Contents|
- TechTarget's ITKnowledge
Get answers to your backup and recovery questions from other TechTarget members who have expertise in that area.
- Search400.com's Best Web Links on backup & recovery
- Search400.com's backup & recovery search results
- iSeries Information Center: Backup & recovery page
- Business continuity and recovery services
This was first published in October 2004