If you're like most people you consider yourself polite, courteous and respectful of others. But what happens when...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
you hit the Web? Do you need to brush up on your Internet etiquette? Take our quiz to find out if you're netiquette-savvy or an Internet savage.
1. You've been sent a virus warning, what should you do now?
a. Forward it to everyone in your address book.
b. Forward it within your company.
c. Ignore it.
d. Go to a security Web site to learn if it is a real virus.
2. On the Internet, flaming refers to:
a. forwarding risque e-mails
b. stalking a romantic interest in chat rooms
c. giving someone a verbal lashing in public
3. The use of "Bcc" when sending an e-mail note could sometimes be resented by the note's explicit recipients. What does the use of "Bcc" allow you to do?
4. Sending UBE is very much frowned upon. What does UBE stand for?
a. unsolicited bulk e-mail
b. unwanted boring emoticons
c. unzipped big e-mails
5. Your cousin asked for your fabulous zucchini cake recipe at the last family function. While you're sending it to him, you decide to e-mail it to all 500 people in your address book as well. What major netiquette sin have you committed?
6. Lurking is sometimes considered impolite. It is the practice of:
a. reading discussions without contributing to them
b. spending too much time in chat rooms
c. reading e-mail meant for someone else
7. If there is no copyright notice, it's okay to copy a Web page. True or false?
8. This term describes the use of e-mail, instant messaging, chat rooms, pagers, cell phones, or other forms of information technology to deliberately harass, threaten, or intimidate someone. What is it?
9. In electronic communication, "brb" is a quick way of saying:
a. Be right back.
b. Been real busy.
c. Been real, buddy.
10. As a common courtesy, when in a chat room you should:
a. introduce yourself when you enter a room
b. make it clear when you are directing a question or response to a specific user
c. report disruptive users
d. all of the above