However, by using the Network File System (NFS) it's possible to add the CD contents to an image catalog on one machine (for instance the Management Central machine) and create the image catalogs on other machines by accessing the image catalog files on the Management Central machine through NFS. This avoids the need to swap the CDs several times on several machines when creating the image catalogs.
Here's how it works:After the image catalog files are created on the Management Central machine (we call iSeries01) it is possible to use these files to create the image catalog files on the second machine (we call iSeries02) with the files from the iSeries01 as source files. On iSeries01, the image catalog files are created in /temp with the command ADDIMGCLGE
- On the iSeries01, run the following command to start the NFS services: STRNFSSVR SERVER(*ALL)
- On the iSeries01, export the folder that contains the image catalog files, in this example /temp:
- On the iSeries02, create folder /nfsmount (on the command line:
'cd /' and then 'md nfsmount')
- On the iSeries02, mount the exported folder from the iSeries01 with this command:
ADDMFS TYPE(*NFS) MFS('iseries01:/temp') MNTOVRDIR('/nfsmount')
- On the iseries02, use ADDIMGCLGE to add the image catalog entry. Use the following command (C5063354_02 is an example):
QSYS/ADDIMGCLGE IMGCLG(CUMPTFS) FROMFILE('/nfsmount/C5063354_02')
Keep in mind that you need read authority on the /temp/
================================== MORE INFORMATION ON THIS TOPIC ==================================
The Best Web Links: Tips, tutorials and more.
Visit the ITKnowledge Exchange and get answers to your systems management questions fast.
Read this Search400.com Featured Topic: Take control of your iSeries.
Ask the Experts yourself: Our systems management gurus are waiting to answer your technical questions.
This was first published in January 2005