We use document formatting software to customize our ERP documents i.e. invoices, customer order acknowledgements for printing and converting into PDF format for e-mailing.
An invaluable tool in testing and developing these forms is the ability to modify and create spool files easily with different conditions, max filled fields etc. without having to change the database and run the ERP applications.
1. Create physical file - for copying to - i.e. QGPL/SPOOL
2. Use CPYSPLF to copy to this file using CTLCHAR(*FCFC)
3. Update QGPL/SPOOL changing data as required - we use WRKDBF (great freeware)
4. Then OVRPRTF FILE(QSYSPRT) CTLCHAR(*FCFC) SPLFNAME(original)
5. CPYF FROMFILE(SPOOL) TOFILE(QSYSPRT)
================================== MORE INFORMATION ON THIS TOPIC ==================================
The Best Web Links: tips, tutorials and more.
Ask your programming questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
Ask the Experts yourself: Our application development gurus are waiting to answer your programming questions.
This was first published in December 2002