iSeries 400 shops still need several things to help them build and manage successful e-commerce projects on their...
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
beloved machines. Users, consultants and analysts familiar with IBM's e-commerce efforts for the iSeries 400 say there are a lot of positive things about the iSeries 400 that make it ideal for use in e-commerce and e-business. But you'll still find the following issues on their holiday wish lists for iSeries 400 e-commerce:
- More tools to help users configure the iSeries 400 for e-commerce.
- Better documentation with products such as WebSphere, especially if IBM wants more iSeries 400 shops to base their e-commerce projects on this product instead of eRPG, Net.Data or a competing product on another platform.
- Less expensive platform options so companies can test small-scale e-commerce projects on a small, inexpensive machine. PC servers win this contest hands down right now.
- Proof that IBM can deliver on persuading 5 million developers to move to WebSphere.
- And related to that, more packaged e-commerce applications from iSeries 400 Business Partners to make the entry into e-commerce that much smoother for users.
- More User-Centered Design efforts at IBM centered around e-commerce. The Internet Setup Wizard, for example, is one popular tool to come out of those sessions.
About the author: Ouellette is a contributing editor in Scarborough, Maine.