Site expert Ken Graap shares this cheat sheet to activate SMTP service on the iSeries system to send e-mails.
Activate SMTP service on the iSeries system to send e-mails. Your iSeries system can be used to send e-mails to your e-mail server. To do this using the Send Distribution (SNDDST) command, follow this procedure. The sender of the e-mails must be a local SNADS user.
1. Enter command CFGTCP
2. Choose option "20. Configure TCP/IP applications"
3. Choose option "12. Configure SMTP"
4. Choose option "3. Change SMTP attributes"
5. Set value "Autostart server . . . . . . . . *YES"
Automatic registration . . . . . *NO
User ID prefix . . . . . . . . QSM
Address . . . . . . . . . . . QSMRMTAD
System name . . . . . . . . TCPIP
Alias table type . . . . . . . *SYSTEM
Mail router . . . . . . . . . . 'firstname.lastname@example.org'
('email@example.com' is the DNS name of your mail server, please check first locally which DNS name and TCP/IP address you'll have to use.)
The local mail server DNS name and IP Address has in any case to be added into the local iSeries TCP/IP Host table using command CFGTCP and option 10. Work with TCP/IP host table entries.
In our configuration we've added Internet address 18.104.22.168 with HostName 'firstname.lastname@example.org'
6. Add following 2 entries in the Directory Entries table:
ADDDIRE USRID(INTERNET GATEWAY)
USRD('Context switching entry')
PREFADR(NETUSRID *IBM ATCONTXT)
ADDDIRE USRID(QSMTPDMY QSMTPSYS)
7. For each DIRE user you want to send an e-mail to, change his entry using command (here an example for my own profile on system BASLE.)
CHGDIRE USRID(USERNAME BASEL)
USRDFNFLD((SMTPAUSRID SMTP 'firstname.lastname') (SMTPDMN SMTP 'company.com'))
firstname.lastname is the part from your email address before the "@" character company.com is the part from your email address after the "@" character
8. Use command CHGTCPDMN to set
* HOSTNAME to BASEL (BASEL is an example; enter your system name here.)
* DMNNAME to company.com (company.com is an example; enter here your company domain name.)
To send an e-mail use the following command:SNDDST TYPE(*MSG)
z DSTD('Description text')
To send e-mails to users not defined in WRKDIRE change once the Distribution Attributes using this command:
CHGDSTA SMTPRTE(INTERNET GATEWAY)
Up to now, you can use following command (Information type has to be set to *LMSG) to send directly to an Internet address:
TOINTNET(('reciepient email address'))
LONGMSG('Long message text')
Be aware to stop and restart the SMTP Server using:
* ENDTCPSVR SERVER(*SMTP)
* STRTCPSVR SERVER(*SMTP)