2003 marks the 15th anniversary of the AS/400 (now called the iSeries), so we thought we'd take a look back and see how it's changed over the years. How much do you know about the iSeries and its early beginnings? Take our quiz and find out.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
How to take the quiz:
After reading the question, write down the letter of your answer choice on scrap paper. Check your answers by using the answer key at the end of the quiz.
1. When the AS/400 was introduced in June 1988, how many processor models were there?
2. When IBM introduced the AS/400, it touted its superior performance over the System/36 and the System 38 computers. What kind of performance did the AS/400 offer over the System/36?
a. 5 times the performance
b. 7 times the performance
c. 8 times the performance
d. 10 times the performance
3. Approximately how many applications were available for the AS/400 when the first one shipped in 1988?
4. What year was IBM's Rochester, Minn., plant completed?
5. The 250,000th AS/400 was sold in 1994 to which company?
a. Coca-Cola Co.
b. Pepsi-Cola Co.
c. Dr Pepper/Seven-Up, Inc.
d. National Beverage Corp.
6. During 1998, IBM says it sold an AS/400 to a customer every
a. 5 minutes of every workday
b. 8 minutes of every workday
c. 10 minutes of every workday
d. 12 minutes of every workday
7. When was the relational database included in OS/400 branded DB2 UDB?
a. December 1997
b. February 1998
c. June 1998
d. February 1999
8. What year was native Lotus Domino for the AS/400 announced?
9. In what year was the AS/400 renamed the eServer iSeries?
10. Today, how many operating system environments can be run simultaneously from a single iSeries server?
Bonus question: OS/400 was the first operating system to be certified Year 2000-ready by the ITAA. What year was this and which versions of the operating system?
SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWER KEY
1. b, Six models
2. a, 5 times the performance
3. c, 2,500
4. c, 1958
5. a, Coca-Cola Co.
6. d, Every 12 minutes of every workday
7. d, February 1999
8. b, 1998
9. c, 2000
10. c, 4 -- OS/400, Unix, Windows NT/2000, Linux
Bonus question answer: 1996, V3R2 and V3R7